Thursday, July 9, 2009

Remembering titles of Harry Potter books


I was having coffee with a friend this week and we were trying to recall the titles of all the Harry Potter books. I could remember the first three but the remaining titles became a blur. So I decided to memorise the titles and demonstrate how this is done with a simple story based on Association and Imagination.

The important thing to remember is that the information is known to me. I have read the books and know the titles, but I don't remember the sequence. My little story that helps me remember the sequence is a mnemonic.

First of all, the titles of the books are:

  1. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
  2. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
  4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
  5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
  6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
  7. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallow
Each book begins with "Harry Potter and the..." so I just need to remember the second part of the title. Here is my story which I created by imagining the action and linking things together:

Harry Potter carries the PHILOSOPHERS STONE down into the CHAMBER OF SECRETS. The door slams loudly and he realises he is now a PRISONER OF AZKABAN. He turns his wand into a cigarette lighter and lights the
GOBLET OF FIRE. The flames rush up and a GOLDEN PHOENIX appears holding an ORDER pad (like a waiter). As the phoenix bursts into flames, HALF of its BLOOD pours onto the floor to form a DEATHLY HALLOWED puddle.

So what do you think of that story? Read it out loud as if you were entertaining a child. Can you recall the book titles in sequence? Think of some lists you would like to remember. I'm going to remember the films of Stanley Kubrick.


2 comments:

  1. Reading all those books I think you need 1 month to spend.


    Laby[zoot suit]

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I know is...
    Harry was walking at Hogwarts, and trips on a stone(sorcerers stone) and then he finds a key, that key leads to a chamber(chamber of secrets) in that chamber was a prisoner(prisoner of Azkaban) .....so on!😊

    ReplyDelete